Budget Lemon "Saffron" Rice
Saffron rice is dubbed the most expensive spice in the world. Sometimes, I like to make a simple "Yellow" Rice by using a tiny pinch of Tumeric-- this gives rice a pretty yellow color, but doesn't add any flavor to the rice. It's a versatile way to make boring rice look pretty, with a variety of garnishes.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water or chicken stock (or half of each)
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. lemon zest
- fresh minced parsley
- 1 cup of frozen peas
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Rinse the rice until the water is clear.
In a medium size saucepan, add the water or chicken stock, and tumeric, and bring to a boil. Add the rice and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, covered.
Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork.
If desired, add lemon zest and lemon juice and fresh herbs.
Adding frozen peas gives the rice some contrast color, and you can sneak in some vegetables!
You'll also love
- MERRY BERRY CHEESE BARS 4.3/5 (40 Votes)
- Frozen Peach Bellini 4.2/5 (48 Votes)
- Carnation Evaporated Milk Macaroni... 4.1/5 (103 Votes)
- Spicy Chili French Fries 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Healthy Lemony Yogurt Loaf Cake 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Maple Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Truvia Lemonade 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Creamy Homemade Rice Pudding,... 4.4/5 (32 Votes)