Poached Halibut Steak Bouillabaisse Style
- 4 halibut steaks - (8 oz ea)
- 1/4 red bell pepper julienned
- 1/4 green bell pepper julienned
- 1/4 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup light chicken stock
- 2 Italian plum tomatoes peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 star anise
- 5 fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Season halibut with salt and pepper and place in a 12- by 8-inch baking dish lightly greased with olive oil. Set aside.
Heat a non-stick skillet; add olive oil. Saute red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, saffron, star anise, dry white wine, and chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Pour the content of skillets over halibut steaks. Cover dish with foil paper and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Time varies due to thickness of fish steaks.
Serve over pasta or grain (such as, quinoa or rice). Sprinkle each plate with fresh basil.
This recipe yields 4 servings.