Monte Christo Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 deli-cut slices Swiss cheese
- 4 deli-cut slices mild, imported ham
- Flour, for dredging plus 1 tablespoon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Halve chicken breasts through to make 8 cutlets; pound very thin, about 1/4 inch. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer of Dijon on one side of the cutlets and sprinkle with thyme. Fold and arrange 1 slice each of cheese and ham on 4 cutlets, leaving a little chicken exposed all around. Place the remaining cutlets Dijon-side down over the top and press down at the edges to form 4 stuffed cutlets. Dredge in flour.
Beat eggs and lemon juice together in a shallow dish.
Heat a large skillet with oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter into oil.
Turn 2 stuffed cutlets in egg batter and add to pan. Cook about 8 minutes, turning occasionally or until cooked through and golden. Transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Melt another tablespoon into the pan and brown remaining cutlets. Remove to the platter.
Add remaining butter to pan and sprinkle in flour 1 minute, whisk in stock and thicken to form gravy; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in maple syrup or honey and mustard.
Halve stuffed breasts, top with gravy and serve.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crazy Good Chicken Casserole 4.5/5 (383 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)