Pescado A La Veracruzana
- 6 firm mild fish fillets - (6 oz ea) sea bass, red snapper, catfish, etc.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes peeled, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup green olives chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
For the Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan. Add garlic and onion, saute for about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the bell pepper and stir for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, bay leaves and oregano.
Return to a boil, cover and cook on low heat for about 8 minutes. Add olives, capers and cook another 5 minutes. Correct seasonings, remove from heat. Remove bay leaves and set mixture aside.
Twenty minutes before serving, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Rinse the fish, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in skillet and brown fillets slightly on both sides. Transfer to a greased baking dish. Spoon sauce to completely cover fillets. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.