Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
These have replaced grilled cheese sandwiches in our house. Paired with tomato soup, they are phenomenal!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 8 6x4-inch slices bread (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound swiss cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1/2 small white onion, carmelized
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange 4 bread slices on work surface. Divide half of cheese equally among bread slices. Top with ham, then onion, tomato and remaining cheese. Top sandwiches with remaining bread. Spread herb butter on outside of sandwich tops and bottoms.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until bottoms are golden, about 3 minutes. Turn sandwiches over, cover skillet and cook until cheese melts and bread is golden, about 3 minutes.