- 1 orange roughy fillet - (to 2)
- 1 wineglass good red wine plus more as needed
- Chopped shallots to taste
- Chopped onion to taste
- Herbs (such as basil, dill, parsley) to taste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Place fish in skillet or shallow pan. Pour glass of wine around it and add shallots, onion, and herbs to your liking. Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, over very, very low heat.
Turn fish after about 20 minutes. If wine cooks away, add a little more. Cook for 45 minutes total, or to the doneness you desire. To speed up the cooking, heat can be turned up; snapper can be substituted for the roughy.
This recipe yields 1 to 2 servings.