Butternut Squash and Parsnip Baked Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped parsnip
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add squash and parsnip; sauté 10 minutes. Stir in sage, parsley, nutmeg, allspice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; remove from heat.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Combine squash mixture, pasta, and 1/4 cup cheese in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, tossing gently to combine.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add milk; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add reserved cooking liquid; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Pour milk mixture over pasta mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Corn Bread (Cooks... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- ST. LOUIS PASTA HOUSE SALAD 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Black Bean and Avocado... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Onion Buds 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rigatoni with Sausage and Chives -... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Jerusalem Artichokes, Zucchini &... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)