Wild Rice Salad
- 1 C wild rice
- 1 1/4 C chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 3 T butter
- 1 C choopped mushrooms (1/2 lb)
- 3 strips lean bacon, diced and fried crisp
- 1/2 C chopped green olives with pimento
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 3 T white wine vinegar with tarraagon*
- 1/2 t dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Soak rice in cold water overnight. Rinse then simmer, covered, in chicken broth with garlic until all liquid is absorbed, about 25 to 30 minutes. Rice should be dry yet fluffy. Discard garlic.
In a medium skillet, saute the sccallions until soft. Add mushrooms and toss briefly over high heat. Add to the rice along with remaining ingredients. Toss well, taste for salt and pepper and chill, preferably 24 hours. Serve, cold, tossing once more.
* In place of tarragon vinegar, substitute 3 T lemon juice and 1 t tarragon.
Marinate 24 hours.