French Bean Soup
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices French bread, diced and fried in butter
- grated Swiss cheese for garnish
1. Soak beans overnight in water. Next day, drain beans and rinse.
2. Put beans in soup pot with 6 cups water, salt, onion, herbs and celery. Bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
3. Remove celery and bay leaf. Mash beans in liquid with potato masher. Add milk and butter, heating until butter melts.
4. Serve garnished with fried bread and grated cheese.