Cheesy Risi E Bisi
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock - (to 4)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese - (to 1/3)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup tiny frozen peas
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and garlic and onion and saute, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes then add rice and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook another minute or so then add wine and let it completely absorb, 30 seconds. Add about 1 cup chicken stock and stir. Reduce heat a bit to medium. Stir often and continue adding a half cup of liquid each time liquid becomes completely absorbed. Cook 22 minutes, using as much stock as is necessary to result in creamy-consistency rice with a bite to it.
When rice is cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in cheese, parsley and peas and stir to combine and to heat peas through.
This recipe yields 4 servings.