Pasta e Fagioli
Creamy, blended beans with pasta.
- 1-1/2 cup dried red kidney beans, washed
- 2 quarts water
- 2 large carrots, scraped & chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of basil
- pinch of rosemary, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Fettucine egg noodles
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Boil beans in water for 1/2 hour.
2. Add carrots, onions, celery, herbs, and olive oil. Simmer for at least another 1/2 hour, or until beans are very tender.
3. Ladle half the beans and vegetables into blender with some broth and blend to a puree. Return the puree to the soup and stir in the tomato paste. Heat through.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Twenty minutes before serving, add the noodles, as well as a little water if soup seems too thick. Cook until noodles are al dente.
5. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and pepper.