Oven-roasting cauliflower is one of those wildly simple but utterly transformative cooking methods. This recipe goes a step further by turning roasted cauliflower into a complex salad with myriad flavors and textures.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon minced white anchovy
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Toss the cauliflower florets with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt. Spread them out on a baking sheet and roast until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, plump the raisins in the Marsala.
Whisk together the lemon and orange zests and juices, the anchovy, red pepper flakes, cumin, and honey. Whisk in the remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil.
In another bowl, combine the shallots, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and let sit for 5 minutes.
Toss together the cauliflower, raisins and Marsala, pine nuts, and capers. Add the shallot mixture to the vinaigrette and pour over the cauliflower. Stir in the parsley and serve.