Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon & Cheddar Biscuits
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 1/2 c. milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 t. creole seasoning
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 4 c. shredded cooked chicken
- 2 c. frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 c. fresh carrots, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 c. self-rising flour
- 3/4 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. finely chopped cooked bacon (cook at 375 for 12 minutes)
- 2 T. chopped scallions, green part only
- 1 c. heavy cream
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and flour to make roux for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and warmed milk to butter/flour mixture. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and add creole seasoning.
In a large saute pan, melt butter and cook onion and mushrooms over medium heat until tender. Stir in chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas and parsley and spoon filling into a greased 9 x 13 casserole; heat at 375 for 15 minutes.
in a mixing bowl, cut butter into self-rising flour until mixture resembles small peas, add cheese, bacon, scallions and heavy cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead 3 or 4 times, roll dough & cut into 3" round biscuits. Bake pot pie at 425 degrees for 15 min. Arrange biscuits on top & bake 25-30 min more until biscuits are golden brown.