Buttermilk Carrot Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound carrots, shredded (about 2 cups packed)
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Buttery Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat 1 softened (8-ounce) package cream cheese, and 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened unsalted butter until creamy.
- Gradually add 2 cups confectioners' sugar, beating 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Use immediately, or cover and chill until ready to use.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt; mix well.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except the frosting.
Stir in flour mixture until well combined.
Divide batter between cake pans.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare Buttery Cream Cheese Frosting (see Note).
Place 1 cake layer upside-down on a serving plate and frost top.
Place second layer over first and frost top and sides.
Cover loosely and chill at least 3 hours before serving.