Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup beef consomme
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz shitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks
- 1 tsp olive oil
1. Cook honey in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and dark in colour, 8 minutes.
Turn heat off, carefully pour vinegar down side of pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens an returns to a syrupy consistency, 6-8 minutes.
Add wine and broth and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup.. 10-12 minutes.
Remove from heat and keep warm.
2. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until tender 4-6 minutes. Stir into sauce and season.
3. Season the beef with 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on both sides and instant read thermomether inserted in center registers 125 degrees for medium rare-7 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.