Vegetarian Burritos with Salsa Verde
Weight Watchers. 5 pts per serving (1 burrito w/ 1/2 cup of bean mixture and extras)
We're big fans of another recipe in my collection (black bean burritos with Swiss chard) and thought this one was going to be too similar. How wrong we were! This recipe blows away the other.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8.75 oz) can corn kernels, drained (I have no idea where you find a can of corn that small; mine was closer to 15 oz)
- 3 Tbsp taco or Mexican seasoning
- 2 C lightly packed sliced Swiss chard
- 8 (7-inch) whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 C reduced fat pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 C fat-free sourcream
- 1/2 C salsa verde
1. Drain the tomatoes and reserve all but 1/2 cup of the liquid. [I don't fully understand this order -- there was barely more than a 1/2-cup of liquid in the can, so I just included all the liquid.] Put the tomatoes and the reserved liquid in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beans, corn, and taco seasoning. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended, 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
2. About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, stir in the Swiss chard. Coarsely mash the bean mixture with a potato masher or wooden spoon.
3. Lay the tortillas out on a work surface. Spoon 1/2 cup of the bean mixture on to each tortilla. Top evenly with the pepper Jack, sour cream, and sals verde. Roll up the tortillas to enclose the filling.