Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans
- 3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 (28 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans, mostly drained
- 1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
- 1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
- 1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
- 1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
- 1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)
Adapted from thesmokering.com
Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven.
*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.