Miss Rachael's Muffaletta
- 1/2 cup hot pepper salad (or giardiniera, Italian hot pickled
- vegetables: cauliflower, carrots, olives, celery and peppers)
- 1/2 cup pitted Sicilian green olives (or other good quality large pitted green olives)
- A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tspn dried rosemary)
- 1 large round loaf crusty bread, 10" to 12" long
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami or sweet sopressata
- 1/4 pound sliced capacola spicy ham
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone
Chop pepper salad or giardiniera in a food processor with olives.
Split bread and drizzle bread with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with chopped rosemary.
Spread the olive salad on the bottom of the bread very liberally. Pile the meats on top of the olive salad, then layer cheese over meat and cover the giant sandwich with the bread top. Press down to set the sandwich, then cut into 4 wedges.
This recipe yields 4 servings.