King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Southern Living Recipe
- 1 (4-5 lb.) whole chicken
- *I used 3 lbs. of chicken breast & I cook my chicken in chicken broth.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped (I used about 20 baby carrots, cut into 3 pieces each)
- 2 T. butter
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Mexican style chili powder
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheese
- 12 - 6 inch fajita size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips.
Cook chicken in chicken broth. Remove from heat and cool. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, & green pepper until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and both cans of diced tomatoes and chiles. I do not drain the tomatoes and chiles.
Shred chicken and layer 1/2 of chicken in a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle with seasonings that are listed (1/2 of each). Top with 1/2 of soup mixture and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Cover with 1/2 of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. I covered mine with foil and sprayed the foil so that the cheese would not stick.
Serve with extra salsa and sour cream.