Teriyaki Tofu Triangles
- Teriyaki marinade:
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or a good pinch of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce, optional
- One 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu
- 1 or 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir together.
2. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between clean tea towels or several layers of paper towels, then cut each slice through the thickness again to make 1/4-inch-thick slices. Blot briefly again.
3. Cut each slice into 2 squares, then each square on the diagonal into 2 triangles. Place in a shallow pan and drizzle with the marinade. Gently turn the tofu pieces over so that both sides are coated with marinade. Let stand for 10 minutes or so.
4. Heat a wide nonstick skillet. Transfer the tofu and marinade into the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently and frequently, until the tofu is nicely browned on most sides.
Scatter scallions over the tofu if desired, and serve at once.