ALMOND OAT COOKIES
Sherry Riggs Bower
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
Heat oven to 350deg. Beat together sugar, margarine and corn syrup until light and fluffy. Add egg whites and almond extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add combined oats, flour, baking soda and salt, mixing well. Stir in nuts. Drop by scant 1/4 cup measure onto ungreased cookie sheet. Gently press into 3-inch circles. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; removed to aluminum foil. Store tightly covered. Yield: 1 dozen.
VARIATION: Spiced Oat Cookies: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon for almond extract and 1/2 cup raisins for sliced almonds.