- 2 (15 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 of a sweet bell pepper (yellow, red, or orange), finely chopped
- 1/2 of a purple onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from thekitchenismyplayground.com
Combine black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together white wine vinegar, oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing mixture over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. This may be served immediately or refrigerated to serve later. If refrigerated, it tastes best if you let it come back to room temperature for serving rather than serving chilled. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or baguette slices.
- I think the vegetables included can be adjusted to personal preference. I may try adding sliced olives and diced fresh tomatoes, which are both included in my former store-bought-go-to version.
- If you don't like cilantro, I would think you could substitute chopped fresh parsley just fine.
- I recommend sticking with the white wine vinegar rather that substituting other vinegar, as white wine vinegar just has a really nice subtle flavor. With that said, cider vinegar would probably work just fine.