Gingerbread Fairy Cookies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 9 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 2 cookie sheets (or inverted baking sheets) with cooking spray and cover each with 15 by 12-inch sheet parchment paper. Heat ground ginger in small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Combine flour, toasted ginger, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
2. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add fresh ginger and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk.
3. Following photo 1, evenly spread ¾ cup batter to cover parchment on each prepared cookie sheet (batter will be very thin). Bake until deep golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Following photos 2 and 3, immediately score cookies into 3 by 2-inch rectangles. Cool completely, about 20 minutes. Using tip of paring knife, separate cookies along score mark. Serve. (Cookies can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.)