Har mee, A Malaysian Prawn Noodle Dish
Traditional Har Me is a Malaysian dish made with lightly sautéed prawns, served over noodles with a spicy broth that is made with the shrimp shells and topped with egg, bok chop, bean shoots, tofu puff and shredded chicken.
- 1/2 pound raw prawns, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chicken thigh fillet
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 pound bean sprouts
- 1 baby bok choy
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli paste
- 2 fried tofu puff, rehydrated
- 1/2 cup hokkien noodles
- 1/2 ounce har me paste, also known as shrimp paste
- 4 cups cold water
- 1/2 lime
- 1 boiled egg
- 4 tablespoons fried shallots
- 3 tablespoons coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 80mins
Roughly chop garlic, coriander and mint. Cut boiled egg in half. Cut tofu puffs diagonally.
Peel and devein prawns, reserving the heads and shells. Lightly season prawns with salt and set aside.
Fry chilli paste, har mee paste (shrimp paste) and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat for 1 minute.
Add prawn heads and shells to paste and fry for 3 more minutes. Split prawn heads before frying to release the flavour.
Add 3 cups cold water to prawn heads/shells and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Discard heads and shells.
Prepare hokkien noodles according to packet instructions and drain.
Season chicken lightly with salt and fry on each side on medium high heat for 3 minutes.
Add chicken, bok choy and tofu puffs to prepared prawn stock and simmer for 3 minutes. Shred the chicken.
Heat pan to medium high heat and fry prawns for 1 minutes on each side, or until changed color and no longer transparent.
Serve noodles topped with bean shoots, bok choy, prawns, tofu puff, shredded chicken and boiled egg. Pour on prawn stock and top with mint, coriander and fried shallots to taste.
You'll also love
- Homemade Tasso Ham 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Sauteed Shrimp With Coconut Oil 3.9/5 (19 Votes)
- Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Tandoori Chicken (Cook's... 4.1/5 (24 Votes)
- Epicure's Extraordinary Cheese Dip 3.8/5 (286 Votes)
- Louisiana Crawfish Casserole 3.9/5 (50 Votes)
- Jerk Shrimp & Grits 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Country Ribs and Orzo 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
Review this recipe