ORANGE CRUNCH CAKE
Iris Riggs Tolley
- CRUNCH LAYER:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange peel
- 1 can Ready to Spread Vanilla Frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
Heat oven to 350deg F. Grease and flour two 9 or 8 inch round cake pans. In small bowl, combine crunch layer ingredients until crumbly. Press half of crumbs into each pan.
In large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Pour batter evenly over crunch layer. Bake at 350deg F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
In small bowl, beat frosting until fluffy; add whipped topping - beat until light and fluffy. Fold in grated orange peel. Place one layer crunch-side up on serving plate; spread with 1/4 frosting. Place second layer crunch-side up and frost. Arrange orange slices on top. Garnish with mint leaves. Store in refrigerator.