Baked Stuffed Trout
- LEMON-BUTTER SAUCE:
- 8 boneless trout heads and tails
- 4 cups stale bread cut or ripped into 1" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 celery stalks cut 1/2" dice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or as needed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Saute the onions, celery, and garlic in the butter until the onions are just beginning to turn brown. Add the chicken stock and seasoning to the pan and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over the bread and stir until the bread is completely moistened. If you need to add a little more stock to accomplish this, then do so.
Stuff the trout, using an eighth of the stuffing per fish. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the fish is cooked through.
Mix together melted butter and lemon juice and drizzle over the trout before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.