Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan Stew
- Eggplant Stew
- 1 large eggplant (cut into cubes)
- 1 small onion (roughly chopped)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 oz low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
1. Combine all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
2. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and cook for a few minutes until toasted (stirring often).
3. Distribute stew to individual (oven-safe) bowls, top with a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler to melt the cheese. Top the bowls with bread crumbs and basil leaves right before serving.