Vegetarian Quinoa & Squash Casserole
Healthy meals never have to be boring! Stuff yourself and your family with this filling Vegetarian Quinoa & Squash Casserole.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup quinoa or whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 (10 to 12 ounce) boxes frozen pureed squash, thawed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, coriander, cayenne and allspice and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach, quinoa (or couscous), raisins, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
If thawed squash is watery, place in a fine-mesh sieve and gently press to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread the squash evenly over the chickpea mixture.
Cover the pan and bake until steaming hot, about 45 minutes for quinoa (15 minutes for couscous). Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.