Pina Colada Sundae
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled, grated
- 1/4 ripe pineapple peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- Coconut sorbet or ice cream as needed
- 1/2 cup rum
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Ginger cookies for garnish
In a small saucepan, heat the butter. Add the sugar and ginger. Stir together until the sugar dissolves. Continue to stir until the sugar starts turning light brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks, toss to coat, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to warm the pineapple through.
Scoop ice cream into each of 4 ice cream dishes.
Remove the pan from the heat, and add the rum. Using a kitchen torch or igniter, flame the rum, tossing pineapple quickly to extinguish the flames.
Pour the pineapple flambe over the ice cream, garnish with a maraschino cherry and a ginger cookie.
This recipe yields 4 servings.