SALAD ASPARAGUS SALAD WITH ROASTER PEPPERS AND GOAT CHEESE
- 2 lbs medium asparagus, tough ends removed
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 TB white wine vinegar
- 2 TB capers, drained
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 2 TSP chopped tarragon or dill
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TB EVOO
- 2 oz mild soft goat cheese
- 12 nicoise or calamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water cook asparagus until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes; transfer to colander and refresh under cold water. Drain and pat dry.
2. Roast peppers direcly of a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 mins. Peel peppers and cut them into 1/4 inch thick strips
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the vinegar, capers, mustard, tarragon, garlic and onion; season with S&P. Whisk in the olive oil.
4. Arrange the asparagus on serving platter. Lay the roasted pepper strips over the asparagus ad drizzle with half the vinaigrette. Crumble goat cheese on top Garnish with chopped olives and cheese and serve. Pass remaining vinaigrette at the table.
Make ahead – can be prepared through Step 3 up to 8 hours ahead. Refrigerate the asparagus, peppers and vinaigrette separately.