￼Key Lime Pie
- For the lime filling-
- 4 teaspoons
- grated lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- for the graham cracker crust-
- 9 graham crackers, pulverized into crumbs 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- for the whipped cream-
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. To make the filling- Whisk the lime zest and egg yolks in a medium bowl for 2
minutes until frothy. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and the lime juice.
Set aside at room temperature to let it thicken while you prepare the crust.
3. To make the crust- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs
and granulated sugar. While stirring with a fork, slowly drizzle in melted butter. Mix until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Transfer the crumbs to a 9-inch glass pie plate and evenly press the crumbs in the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is fragrant, about 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
4. To make the pie- Once the crust has cooled to room temperature, pour the filling into the crust. Bake until the center is set, yet slightly jiggly in the middle, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer the pie to a wire rack. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until well-chilled, at least 3 hours.
5. To make the whipped cream- Using an electric mixer, whip the cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Decorate the pie with whipped cream and garnish with lime slices.