ONIONS – BAKED LEEKS, GARLIC, THYME AND PARMIGIANO
ONIONS – BAKED LEEKS WITH GARLIC, THYME AND PARMIGIANO – SERVES 8
- 1 TSP unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 8 medium large leeks (with several inches of white)
- 2 tsp lightly chopped fresh thyme
- I cup heavy cream
- 2 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/3 cup parmigiano-reggiano grated
Heat Oven to 350. Rub the bottom of a shallow 10x15 rectangular baking dish with the butter. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt over bottom of pan.
Cut the dark-green portion of all but about 1 inch of the light green off the top of the leeks. Peel away any tough or damaged outer leaves. Trim the ends by cutting the roots but leaving a bit of the base intact to hold the leek together. Cut each leek in half lengthwise. Gently wash each half under running water, fanning open the layers to rinse thoroughly. Pat the leeks dry and arrange cut side down in baking dish. They should fit snugly. Sprinkle thyme and 1/4 tsp salt evenly over the leeks.
Heat the cream and garlic in small saucepan over high heat. As soon as the cream comes to a rolling boil (watch carefully and don’t let it boil over) remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 5 mins. Pour the cream and garlic evenly over the leeks.
Cover leeks with parchment cut to fit inside pan.
Bake the leeks until thickest ends are tender all the way through when pierced and cream is almost entirely reduced, abt 35 minutes. Sprinkle the leeks with the parmigiano and salt to taste. Bake until just cheese melts, and additional 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer leeks and arrange them in the buttered baking dish/
Make ahead: you can wash and trim the leeks and arrange them in the buttered baking dish 6 hours ahead.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (805 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)
- Leek and Garlic Mashed Potatoes 4.5/5 (47 Votes)