Beet, Carrot & Apple Salad
Give winter a subtle hint and welcome spring with a colorful cancer-fighting salad. This tangy dish is loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene while beets get their red hue from flavonoids, both antioxidants that protect our cells from damage. Apple adds natural sweetness and walnut a hearty crunch. Enjoy with a picnic under the blooming cherry blossoms.
- 1 medium beet (or 3/4 cup pre-shredded)
- 2 medium carrots (or 3/4 cup pre-shredded)
- 1 large peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, or dill or combination, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Adapted from bhg.com
To shred beet, insert each hand in plastic sandwich bag to avoid staining hands. Peel beet using swivel blade vegetable peeler. Using coarse side of box grater, shred beet to get 3/4 cup. Save remaining beet for another use. Shred carrots and apple. Place shredded beets, carrots and apple in mixing bowl and mix to combine. Add walnuts and green herbs on top of mixed vegetables, and set bowl aside.
For dressing, in small bowl whisk together lemon juice and salt until salt dissolves. Add 3-4 grinds of pepper. Whisk in oil. Pour dressing over salad and mix until well combined and evenly dressed. Serve salad within 1 hour of combining with herbs and dressing.
You'll also love
- Pissaladières - Onion & Anchovy... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Stuffed Broccoli Leaves 3.7/5 (42 Votes)
- Rum-Glazed Shrimp and Mango 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Southern Style Coconut Cake 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Corned beef & Cabbage Spring Roll 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Fresh Berry Salad with Arugula and... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Edamame & Ricotta Toasts 4/5 (7 Votes)