Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (2 turns around the pan)
- 1 medium yellow-skinned onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 large green pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper seeded, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed, chopped
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (32 oz)
- 1 can black beans - (14 oz)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans - (14 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 8 ounces spicy monterey jack or smoked cheddar shredded
- Chopped scallions, whites and greens
- Diced fresh seeded plum tomato
- Blue and red corn tortilla chips or black bean tortilla chips for dipping
Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions, and tomatoes. Place bowls on charger plates piled with assorted tortilla chips.
This recipe yields 4 servings.