Garlicky Roasted Shrimp with Parsley and Anise
To keep our roasted shrimp plump and moist, we brined them briefly. To further protect them as they cooked and to produce a more roasted flavor, we left their shells on. The shells browned quickly in the heat of the oven and transferred flavor to the shrimp itself. To get tons of flavor onto the shrimp, we tossed them in a potent mixture of aromatic spices and herbs.
- Serves 4 to 6
- Don’t be tempted to use smaller shrimp with this cooking technique; they will be overseasoned and prone to overcook.
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 pounds shell-on jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
Dissolve salt in 1 quart cold water in large container. Using kitchen shears or sharp paring knife, cut through shell of shrimp and devein but do not remove shell. Using paring knife, continue to cut shrimp ½ inch deep, taking care not to cut in half completely. Submerge shrimp in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Adjust oven rack 4 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Combine melted butter, oil, garlic, anise seeds, pepper flakes, and pepper in large bowl. Remove shrimp from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Add shrimp and parsley to butter mixture; toss well, making sure butter mixture gets into interior of shrimp. Arrange shrimp in single layer on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet.
3. Broil shrimp until opaque and shells are beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through broiling. Flip shrimp and continue to broil until second side is opaque and shells are beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes longer, rotating sheet halfway through broiling. Transfer shrimp to serving platter and serve immediately, passing lemon wedges separately.
You'll also love
- Canning – Tomato Sauce 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Crescent City Red Beans & Rice... 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Shrimp Tempura Roll (Ebi) 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Shrimp & Sautéed Spinach 3.9/5 (69 Votes)
- Carrot & Garlic salad 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
Review this recipe