Rocky Road Bars
“Dad, anything with marshmallows and
chocolate has to be good.” Katie was
right; they are good. These interesting
cookies are almost like candy bars—a
chewy confection with nuts and
These are very quick cookies. With all
the ingredients on the counter, it took us eight minutes to pop these cookies in the microwave. We made several batches, tinkering with them to get them just right. Everyone declared them “very good”.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dried semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
1. Place butter in an 8-inch square, microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave until the butter is melted.
2. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Press the mixture firmly into the dish.
3. Microwave for three to five minutes or until lightly browned. If your microwave does not have a rotating carousel, rotate the dish twice during cooking.
4. Let the cookies cool and then cut them into bars with a sturdy knife. Wrap them individually to pack in a lunch.
This recipe will make sixteen 2 x 2-inch squares.
Baker’s note: Since microwave ovens vary significantly, you may need to experiment with cooking times. In our test microwave, four minutes was just right. Three minutes left them a little on the sticky side—but still good—and five minutes made them too chewy