DIP – ULTIMATE 7 LAYER
Usually served in a clear dish so you can see the layers. For a crowd, double the recipe and serve in a 13x9” glass baking dish. If you don’t have time to make fresh guacamole as called for, simply mash 3 avocados with 3 tbls lime juice and 1/2 tsp salt.
- 4 large tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped fine
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 3 tbls finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 scallions, 2 minced and 4 with green parts sliced thin (white parts discarded)
- 2 tbls plus 2 tsp juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (16 ox) can black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 cups chunky guacamole
- Tortilla chips for serving
1. Combine tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, minced scallions and 2 tbls lime juice in medium bowl. Stir in 1/8 tsp salt and let stand until tomatoes begin to soften, about 30 min. strain mixture into bowl and discard liquid.
2. Pulse black beans, garlic remaining lime juice, chili powder and remaining salt in food processor until mixture resembles chunky paste. Transfer to bowl and wipe out food processor. Pulse sour cream and 2 1/2 cups cheese until smooth. Transfer to separate bowl.
3. Spread bean mixture evenly over bottom of 8” square glass baking dish or 1 quart glass bowl. spread sour cream mixture evenly over bean layer, and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Spread guacamole over cheese and top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve with toritlla hips. (Dip can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let dip stand at room temp 1 hour before serving.)
Ultimate Smoky 7 Layer Dip
Pulse 1-3 tsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with the black beans in step 2. along with scallions, garnish dip with slices cooked and crumbled bacon.