Vegetable Biryani Rice
This vegetable and rice dish is spiced with cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, and garnished with golden raisins and cashews.
- 2 cups basmati rice (white or brown)
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 bay leaf (preferably Indian)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups mixed vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, green beans; can use raw or frozen, chopped
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, minced
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large pinch saffron dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Rinse the rice 3-4 times until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for at least 30 minutes and drain.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the rice, spices, and salt. Boil until the rice is just tender and chewy (neither soft nor crunchy), about 10 minutes. Drain well. Return to the pot and cover to keep warm.
Briefly steam the vegetables until just tender but still crisp.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the ghee or vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring, until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the spices and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the water, vegetables, and salt, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are warmed through.
Spread half of the rice in a 9x12-inch baking dish. Spread the vegetables evenly on top and then the remaining rice. Drizzle the saffron-water mixture on top. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
While the dish is in the oven, heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the raisins and cashews and cook, stirring, until the raisins are plump and the cashews are toasted.
To serve, garnish the biryani with raisins, cashews, and cilantro.
You'll also love
- Pickled Quail Eggs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- S'mores Cookies 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Long Boy Burgers 3.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Potato... 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Chicken and Noodles 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Star Cut-Out Cookies 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Bierocks - Old Fashioned Volga... 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Char Kuey Teow - Stir-Fried Rice... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)