Cuban Pulled Pork Tacos with Guava Glaze, Sour Orange Red Cabbage-Jicama Slaw and Chipotle Mayonnais
- Guava Glazed Pulled Pork:
- One 4-pound boneless pork butt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups guava jelly
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 corn tortillas, warmed
- Chipotle Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- Sour Orange, Red Cabbage and Jicama Slaw, recipe follows
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1. Special equipment: roaster box with probe thermo-
meter, such as La Caja China; sufficient charcoal to
cook pork butt for 4 to 5 hours (about 30 pounds)
2. For the pork: Using a paring knife, make small slits
over the entire surface of the pork. Put the pork in a
large roasting pan or bowl.
3. Combine the oil, oregano, garlic and a big pinch of
salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Rub into the slashes. Cover and refrigerate at least 8
hours and up to 24 hours.
5. Whisk together the guava jelly, mustard, orange and
lime juices in a bowl and season with salt and pep-
6. Prepare the roaster box according to manufacturer's
7. Sprinkle the pork liberally with salt and pepper and
put fat-side up on the rack over the roasting pan in
the roaster box.
8. Cook for 1 hour, flip, and cook another 2 hours.
9. Glaze the top with the guava mixture, flip, glaze
again, cover the box and cook another 30 minutes, or
until the internal temperature of the pork is about
195 degrees F. You can check the meat occasionally
to make sure the glaze on the top of the meat isn't
burning, so you can add sufficient charcoal to keep
the box hot without burning the glaze. Total cooking
time will be between 4 and 5 hours.
10. Remove the pork, tent lightly with foil and let rest
15 minutes. Pull the pork into bite-size pieces and
toss with more of the guava glaze.
11. Lay the warm tortillas on a flat surface. Smear some
Chipotle Mayonnaise on each one. Fill the center
with some of the pork, some of the Sour Orange,
Red Cabbage and Jicama Slaw and top each with
some cilantro leaves. Fold over and eat.
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons pureed chipotles en adobo
Juice of 1/2 lime
Whisk the mayonnaise, pureed chipotles en adobo and lime juice together until smooth.
Sour Orange, Red Cabbage and Jicama Slaw:
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 jicama, grated on large holes of box grater
1/2 small red onion, grated on large holes of box grater
1/4 head red cabbage, grated on large holes of box grater
1 large carrot, grated on large holes of box grater
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, honey and sugar in a large bowl. Add the jicama, onions, cabbage, carrots and cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to meld.
You'll also love
- Bacon mayo 0/5 (0 Votes)
- STRAWBERRY PIE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cod Seared with Peach-Mango Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Cornish Hen and Grapes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sugar-Free Instant Pumpkin Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Citrus Pork Kebabs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Biscuits with Orange-Honey... 0/5 (0 Votes)