Ham And Asparagus Strata
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus (thin stalks) cut into 3" pieces
- 6 large sour dough bread pieces (if you cut ends
- off and cut in two, you end up with 12 helping-size squares)
- 6 slices ham cut to size of
- the bread squares
- 4 eggs (or 1 cup egg substitute)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (may use skim)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (may be low-fat)
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 Spray butter or margarine
- Garlic salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
Lightly brush/spray butter or margarine over 6 slices of bread as prepared above. Place bread, buttered-side up, in a 9- by 13-inch buttered glass dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Layer with ham and raw asparagus. Cover with remaining 6 buttered bread squares.
In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and add milk, onion, garlic salt, and pepper. Pour over bread. Sprinkle nutmeg over the top. Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 25 more minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and return to oven for 10 minutes (uncovered). Let cool for 10 minutes. Recipe may be doubled and made the night before; cover and refrigerate.
Goes great with blackberry baby muffins and fresh fruit.
This recipe yields 6 servings.