Sunday Dinner Brisket
This Sunday Dinner Brisket recipe utilizes your slow-cooker, so all you have to do is prepare this main course, and then focus on more important things like the appetizers and side dishes, or catching up with your friends and loved-ones. This brisket goes best with a simple side salad or all of your favorite richer sides, like mashed potatoes and and stewed green beans.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 medium onions, sliced, about 4 cups
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 fresh beef brisket, about 4 to 5-pounds
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 630mins
Adapted from tohcookingschool.com
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Sprinkle with garlic and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer onions to an oval 6-quart slow cooker.
If necessary to fit a large skillet, cut brisket in half. Sprinkle brisket with flour and shake off excess. In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat.
Brown both sides of brisket; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place brisket in the slow-cooker over onions.
Add vinegar to skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and paprika until blended. Pour over brisket. Cook, covered, on low 8 to 10 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove brisket; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.
You'll also love
- Glazed Fresh Strawberry Pie 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Strawberry Pie (low sugar) 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed... 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Yeast Corn Bread Loaf 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Beef Bourguignon 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Throwback Porterhouse Steaks 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Easy Beef And Broccoli Recipe 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Fried Plantains with Sweet Heat 4.7/5 (14 Votes)