Tortellini in Pesto Broth - Panera Bread Recipe
By Sharon T
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite-diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ditalini, small shells, or other very small shape pasta
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini (optional)
- 1/3 cup refrigerated or jarred pesto
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from panerabread.com
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes, 4 cups of broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add additional broth if the soup is too thick.
Stir in the beans, pasta, and zucchini (if using), and simmer until pasta is tender, 8 to 9 minutes. Stir in the pesto.
Tip: This soup tastes fabulous with freshly made croutons. To make them, remove the crust from a Panera Bread Focaccia with Asiago Cheese and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 1/4-inch of oil in a 10-inch pan to 325ºF. Add cubes to pan, stir to coat, and then cook undisturbed until light golden brown, 2 minutes. Transfer to a towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
591 calCalories 20 gProtein 77 gCarbohydrates 22 gFat 18 mgCholesterol 1007 mgSodium 10 gDietary Fiber