Vinegar Braised Chicken And Mushrooms
Don't think sour—think sweet and bright. Red wine, balsamic, and apple cider vinegars combine to make a flavorful braising liquid for chicken, mushrooms, and carrots.
- 4 pounds assorted chicken breasts and thighs, bone-in skin-on
- 2 pounds mushrooms (cremini, white, or baby bella), cleaned
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (could use baby carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
Adapted from 12tomatoes.com
Season both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and, in batches, brown chicken on all sides, then transfer to a separate plate and set aside.
Reserving 2-3 tablespoons, drain off fat and sauté carrots and onions until tender. About 10 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until softened, then add crushed garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Season everything with salt and pepper, then transfer vegetables (discarding garlic) to the plate with the chicken.
Sprinkle flour into the Dutch oven and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously, until pasty and smooth.
Pour in the vinegars and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, then slowly mix in chicken broth.
Return chicken to pot and add bay leaf, then bring mixture to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, partially cover your pot and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Return vegetables to Dutch oven and serve with reduced sauce.
You'll also love
- Lemon Ice Box Pie 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Corn Tortillas 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Beef Stew with Dark Brown Gravy -... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Earl Grey Chocolate Truffles 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bon Appetit's Best Beef & Bacon... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Amawele’s Frikadella-Stuffed... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Spicy Sausage, Mushroom, and... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings 4.3/5 (29 Votes)