Creamy Eggplant & Mushroom Monte Cristo
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick), halved
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or baby portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices wide-loaf white bread
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add eggplant; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from pan.
2. In same pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan; wipe skillet clean.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk until blended. Spread 1 tablespoon herb cheese over each slice of bread. Layer four slices with eggplant and mushrooms; top with remaining bread.
4. In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Carefully dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 5 seconds. Place two sandwiches in skillet; toast 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining oil and sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Coconut Meringue Cakes 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Blueberry-Pecan Galette 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Egg Bake 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Swiss Chard and Mushroom Galette 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Wild Mushroom Crostini 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- LASAGNA WITH ROASTED-EGGPLANT... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)