Dill Chicken Pot Pie Galette
- Dough Ingredients
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick / 113g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water
- heavy cream, for brushing crust
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 pounds (910g) boneless, skinless chicken (thighs or breasts)
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, divided
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/2 pound (225g) carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (330g) fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/4 cup (30g) flour
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream, plus more for brushing the pastry
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup (5g) minced dill
Adapted from whiteonricecouple.com
Line two baking pans with parchment paper.
1.In a bowl, pinch together the flour, butter, and salt with your fingertips until most of the big chunks of butter are flattened or broken up.
2.In another bowl, whisk the egg with the ice water until combined. Incorporate the egg mixture into the flour until the mixture binds together and forms a rough ball (you may need to gently knead the ball to incorporate the last of the flour).
3.Divide the ball in two, roll each half into a ball, and then flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
4.Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. If the chicken pieces are thick, place them between two sheets of plastic wrap and lightly pound them to 1/2-inch thick. Season the pieces with salt and pepper.
5.In a large sauté pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to cool.
6.To the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of the butter, then add the shallots, garlic, carrots, and corn and cook over medium heat until the shallots begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and brandy and simmer until the pan is almost dry, 12 to 15 minutes.
7.Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. When it is melted, stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the cream and stock. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
8.Cut the browned chicken into 1/2-inch pieces and add them to the cream sauce. Add the mustard and dill, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
9.On a floured surface, roll the dough disks out to a circles slightly larger than 10 inches in diameter. Place each disk on a lined sheet pan.
10.Divide the filling mixture between the two dough circles, starting in center and spreading outwards, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of the outer rim of dough uncovered. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Brush the crust with heavy cream.
11.Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.