Baked Rice with Sausage, Peppers, and Corn
- 1 pound spicy or sweet Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3 cloves)
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed, cut into 1-inch rounds
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pierce sausage all over with the tip of a paring knife. In a large straight-sided ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet along with onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice, then broth; season with salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan and bring liquid to a boil. Add corn, cover, and bake until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving, topped with cilantro.