Thai Chicken & Rice Noodle Salad
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 puya or other small, mild chili, roughly chopped
- 1 árbol or other small dried, red chili, torn
- 1 1/2 poached, roasted or grilled skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice bran or olive oil
- 2 small Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped Thai or other basil
Adapted from wsj.com
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil noodles until tender but still al dente, 3-4 minutes. Drain and run noodles under cold water to cool. Toss noodles dry and set aside.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Place ¼ cup fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and both chilies in a blender or food processor. Blend until chilies break up and sauce looks uniform. Set sauce aside. Shred and roughly chop chicken into bite-size pieces.
In a large bowl, toss shredded chicken with cooled noodles, shallots, oil, cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs. Toss in dressing until well incorporated. Taste and add more fish sauce or lime juice as needed. Serve at room temperature or cool.