Audrey Hepburn’s Chocolate Cake
- 11 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- Flour for pan
- Powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter and flour a 10- or 12-in. round baking pan.
2. Melt the chocolate with the milk in a bain-marie (a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). Add the butter and stir to blend thoroughly. Turn off the heat and add the 8 egg yolks, and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, gradually add the sugar to the egg whites and whip to form stiff peaks. Gently fold into the chocolate-egg yolk mixture. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door, and leave the cake inside for a few minutes (this will prevent the crust from cracking). Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.