- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 package butter and herb mashed potato mix - (7.6 oz)
- 1 stick butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups prepared French-fried onion rings
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the hash browns. Cook for 5 minutes and drain. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked hash browns, mashed potato mix, butter, cream cheese, jack cheese, sour cream, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir in the boiling water.
Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle the onion rings over the casserole and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes longer until onions are golden brown.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.