Smoked Hot Potato Salad with Bacon, Green Apple and Smoky Moolten Brie
- 3 lbs fingerling or new potatoes, washed
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
- 1 4-in round Brie cheese (about 5 oz)
- 4 slices double-smoked bacon, sliced into 1/4 in strips
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced (skin left on)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 c mixed chopped herbs, such as parsley, chives and oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare smoker and heat to 250 degrees, using hickory wood. Cut fingerling potatoes in half if larger than average. Place potatoes and sweet onion into a med saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to med and simmer 15-20 mins until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; remove onion and set aside.
Toss potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to the smoker rack. Use a grill basket or line smoker rack with foil that has been poked with holes. Add cooked onion. Smoke for 1.5 hrs or until vegetables are a smoky golden brown color.
Place the Brie cheese on a thin, untreated wooden plank or foil-lined baking sheet. Add the Brie to the smoker with the potatoes during the last hour. Smoke until golden brown and gooey.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet set over med heat for 7-10 mins or until crisp. Drain bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Coarsely chop and toss with the apple and green onion.
Remove the potatoes from the smoker and transfer to a clean work surface. Using the bottom of a clean skillet, lightly squish the potatoes, just enough to crack the skin and expose the flesh slightly; chop the sweet onion. Toss the potatoes with the onions and apple mixture until well combined. Remove Brie from the smoker.
Arrange Brie over potato mixture and pierce to allow hot cheese to flow over potatoes. Gently break rind into pieces. Add mixed herbs and season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Gently toss until well coated.
You'll also love
- Tenderloin Steaks with Red Wine... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lettuce Wraps 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cucumber Salad with Dijon... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled PorkTenderloins 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sugar Cookie Lemon Tarts 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Bacon-Tomato Dip 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Scalloped Apples and Pork Chops 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cauliflower Potato Salad 4/5 (1 Votes)